Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Doomed

For a while there (before the blog), I was knitting dishrags. With a vengeance.

This was even before I got the Mason-Dixon book.

So you can imagine the disaster that befell me when that puppy hit the shops.

My dishrag cotton stash was nearly exhausted:





But this wasn't really a serious problem. I had a nice pile of dishrags, and after Winter Gift Exchange 2005 my Mama and sibs had some, too.

And frankly, my needles were a little tired. (Contrary to popular belief, you can knit too many dishrags.)

So I was going to take a breather.

Shortly thereafter, I got a strong hint that Mama --

(Mama, who taught me the knitting in the first place, but had not knitted in so long that she claimed to have forgotten everything . . . the relearning of which has been more of a problem than you would think, as she's got "Combined" knitting in her muscle memory and all her books and friends are showing her other methods . . .)

-- Mama had caught the bug and wanted to try her own hand at some dishrags.

That Day Where We All Call On Our Mamas Bearing Gifts arrived. And since mine was still interested, she got a boatload of dishrag cotton, the Mason-Dixon book, and a bag to keep it in.

And another dishrag.

She was very pleased.

(Thank goodness!)

So pleased, in fact, that she is still pleased.

(Wow. Thanks, Ann and Kay!)

But this spawned a complication. One of my cousins is getting married in the fall. The bride is having a shower very soon. Mama wants to make a modest pile of dishrags for the shower.

She wants help.

Fine. I'm sufficiently rested.

One problem.

As previously mentioned, NO STASH.




(The cat rightly views this as a Curiosity Requiring Investigation.)

So I went to the store.

Where the cotton sucked out my brain.





I'm doomed . . .

Better get to work.



Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Yeah So said...

Yes I've caught that cotton bug alright...but it's for kimonos not dishrags. I'm afraid what will happen if I make one (like Lays potato chips, ya know).

BTW I can never see the pictures you post (I'm using IE)

12:52 AM  
Blogger Anonyknits said...

That's strange . . . I'm using IE, too, and can see everything just fine.

Anyone else having trouble viewing the photos?

1:02 AM  
Blogger the rachface said...

Firefox all the way! But I checked in my IE browser as well, and I can see the pictures just fine.

Hurrah for dishclothes. After finishing my 11th bib and wearing out my favorite needles, I think I'm going to addict myself to the ballband next. I got inspired by Ann's pink lemonade design after looking back in the MDK archives. And your pink/green combo is so fresh, I love it.
Where do you find the super sizes of S&C?

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm using firefox and I can see them. Lovely kitty, btw.

Yes, I think you doomed, but I also think you're enjoying it.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Yeah So said...

Okay I see them now. Maybe it's me??

Thanks, now I'm drooling all over my keyboard looking at all that cotton!

9:03 PM  
Blogger Anonyknits said...

Re where I found the larger sizes of the S&C -- This is actually all they had at the JoAnne I was near.

I'm contemplating calling up the E.P. guys and ordering cones of P&C. I like the colors better . . . But then I would be drowning in cotton . . .

9:53 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Awesome! Love the pink and green!(or is that purple and green?) You have wet my appetite for more peaches and cream...curse you!

Ang

1:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home