Thursday, July 13, 2006

Recipe for a Lemon Hat

This Lemon hat is a variation on the Apple hat.



Here's what I did differently:

I used 1 by 1 ribbing instead of a rolled edge. I did this for two rounds, but the yarn I used did not have a strong tendency to curl. With a different yarn, you might wish to continue the ribbing for another few rows.

Then everything is the same until the crown decreases start. The basic idea is that, while an apple is sort of, kind of, round on top (bear with me), a lemon is sort of, kind of, well, pointy (for lack of a better word). So, instead of decreasing every row, I interspersed a few "knit around" rows here and there as I got closer to the top. Thus, to decrease:

Round 1: K6, K2tog. Repeat around. (63 sts left of the original 72)
Round 2: K5, K2tog. Repeat around. (54 sts)
Round 3: K4, K2tog. Repeat around. (45 sts)
Round 4: K3, K2tog. Repeat around. (36 sts)
Round 5: K2, K2tog. Repeat around. (27 sts)
Round 6: K around.
Round 7: K, K2tog. Repeat around. (18 sts)
Round 8: K around.
Round 9: K2tog. Repeat around. (9 sts)
Round 10: K around.
Round 11: K, K2tog. Repeat around. (6 sts)

Everything else I did just the same.

As for the yarn itself:

Cotton Licious. 100% cotton. I loved it in the skein. But I found it really unpleasant to work with.


It has one thick and one thin ply, and is plied pretty tightly so that it is bumpy. Looks neat, right?


And the texture of the knitted fabric has interest and a nice natural look.


But it does not handle smoothly at all.

I'll use up what I've got, but I won't be buying it again.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Yeah So said...

Well, it sure looks good! Like it better than the apple hat.

1:43 AM  
Blogger the rachface said...

This hat rocks! Thanks for the pattern. It was totally worth the wait.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Inanna said...

Love it!

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Sherkoo said...

Hi Lara. Since this is a variation of the apple hat, where do I find the pattern for the
apple hat, please? Sherry

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home